Saturday 27 March 2010

In what ways does your advertisement use, develop or challenge forms and conventions?

As stated previously, in order to gain inspiration and ideas into the design of my own advertisement I researched into the conventions, the main ingredients, included in the production of a successful magazine advertisement. The most important conventions such as the release date and outlet retailer were present in all of the advertisements I came across, while I also specifically looked at advertisements that highlighted the conventions of my own genre of Pop/Rock. Therefore in my own production of my design, there were stages where I have used, developed and challenged the conventions and I will highlight these here.

Used
The main conventions that I incorporated into my own design included vitally the name of the band/artist. By using the same logo that was used on my digipak design thus creating synergy, it also promotes the band/artist and their profile in the public eye. Using details of the band's website promotes them further, allowing people to research them at their own leisure while allowing their own fans to be in contact with them with information like tour dates. The release date is a vital ingredient for an advertisement for the obvious reason of informing others when to buy it. It also creates an anticipation for their fans, counting down the days until its release. Stating the name of the retailer on the advert, while not seen as essential can be important in the album's release. As my own design states, the album is only available at HMV. This has been the case with some release posters I have seen in my own experience and so I incorporated that idea here. Using the similar background from the digipak creates a synergy between the two products and will be recognisable to fans when the digipak is brought in the shop.

Developed
As mentioned before, using the name of the retailer on the advertisement is not something necessarily used in the production of this product. However I chose to develop the technique here myself, and used the HMV logo with the slogo "available only at..." This informs the audience while promoting the retailer too. The image of the artist looking away from the audience does not seem conventional in itself and is rather rare as normally looking at the audience engages them immediately. However, with influence from Florence and the Machine's own advertisement, I used this particular image to make the artist more mysterious while slyly inviting the audience in. Additionally, the quotes from magazine reviewers I found in my research to be quite rare. However I developed the idea here, using two quotes from Q and NME magazine, showing to the audience that the band has been approved by the "experts".

Challenged
When looking at my design, I do not feel I challenged many conventions drastically as this would maybe divert the audiences attention elsewhere. However it could be said that I haven't conventionally used the album's main image for the advertisement as many traditionally do. The exclusion of the form of the album i.e available in digipak was due to their being no room left for this information, making the design appear too full and confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment